Tuesday, February 15, 2011

February 12 2011


February 12 2011 

Today I met a woman – a nurse and a lay person – whose life’s work is to bring comfort to the poorest that are ill. As we were talking, she said to me, we don’t help any woman over 50 years of age if they have cancer. I almost choked. I replied, I am 62 years of age and have just finished my major treatment for breast cancer – if I hadn’t gone to Singapore, you would have written me off! Paula’s response was immediate. I can only help so many women, she said. Cancer treatment is expensive and difficult to find. I have to use my own money. The women coming here are women whom are very poor and do not have the resources to pay for treatment. By the time they come here, they have sold all that they own. They are young women with young children. Even if the treatment just gives them a few more years, the children have their mother for that time.

We talked some more. Most of the women that come, she said, are fourth stage cancer. Their pain is horrific and they are desperate for help. You know Janne, they all want to live – it doesn’t matter whether they are rich or poor –they all desperately want to live and so they sell everything – sometimes even their own children at a chance to find medicine, a cure and most often release – release from the pain.

She introduced me to a young woman of 26 – she was very ill – she was living her last weeks – away from home and all those she loved – but it was better this way she said. I have no money – we have sold everything. It is better this way.

I was saddened – she still had great beauty. What would it be like to die away from her children, her family – how sad it must be. Then we talked to an 18 year old, ill with breast cancer. She had chemo yesterday and was feeling nauseous. How many, I asked, are so young? Paula’s response was sad – too many she said – Cambodia has a young population after all those years of conflict. The treatment is not always the best and it costs so very much. Even paying $2.00 for a mat to lay on in the hospital is beyond their ability to pay.
We talked about Nokor Tep’s Women’s Hospital. Paula was so enthusiastic – we need it so badly. There are so many women who need the help. I will provide a safe haven for any woman you have that needs treatment and time. Just bring the hospital.

I shared with her our vision for education and prevention – helping women to understand their bodies better, of helping them to detect early signs of not only cancer but other diseases’ – Paula’s response was – just imagine if we could bring all women’s cancers down to first stage treatable and hopeful. Can you imagine, she said, of the children who would have their moms and the husbands who would have their wives – how good that would be. 

I shared with Paula of those who said, but how expensive this would be. Paula’s response touched me – you tell then she said – love is never expensive – if freely given. You get so much back – a smile, a touch, a hug and sometimes you give life itself. What price should we put on that?   
I met a woman today – a woman of compassion and love – a woman like minded in so many ways – a woman’s whose passion is mine. Nokor Tep Woman’s Hospital has become our vision. Hopefully it will become yours as well.

Janne

No comments:

Post a Comment